Sunday, September 28, 2008

Getting started

I have been struggling with getting motivated to get out there on the bike. I have allowed life and stress to get in the way lately. I have started a new/old job (meaning I am back at the same company for the third time- crazy or a great choice, hoping for the latter) and am working on getting my single speed dialed in for commuting. More on that in a sec.

I have done some long distance rides in the past, brevets, half of Paris-Brest-Paris, 12 and 24 hour races etc. My previous PR for 24 hours is 357.5 miles. I have thought about it a lot and I need to work on a few things to meet my new goal. Of course, fitness- and I know Cyclo-Club is the right place to give me tools and forums for advice etc. Then also I have yet to find the right saddle that I can stand beyond a 600k. I have resorted to the old randonneur or randonneuse standard of a Brooks which I am working on breaking in. Finally, I really need a dedicated crew that will hand off bottles etc so I do not have to stop.

So, to meet this goal and overcome the motivation thing I am participating in the Everyday Cyclist Challenge. Nothing like making it public to make me accountable! So, I went out today with my local ladies cycling club. It was the first day of Century Training. We had 5 newbies whose goal is their first century in 6 weeks. I saw some old riding buddies and had a really great ride and did feel pretty good, maybe better than I should, nice surprise.

I am riding my singlespeed to work I would like 3 days a week but last couple of weeks schedule has only allowed for 2. Nothing like a one day trip to Miami and back (4 hours drive time each way) to blow the heck out of the day. And last week it was twice!! So, onward and upward. My goal for this week is to get a couple of new components for the commuter bike to make that work better. I also want to get in a couple of core sessions to make a start to get that back. Let you know how it goes!

2 comments:

Tightwads of PDX! said...

Ellen -
Congrats on getting the blog up and running. It looks GREAT! I hope that you're right - that keeping a blog helps you to feel accountable and that it motivates you to stick to your goals and to look back as the weeks go by and appreciate the journey you've undergone...

Josh

Kerry said...

Ellen - Thanks for posting. You are inspiring me to get up and do something similar. I am truly an "everyday cyclist"...these long distance that you ride I can not even imagine...but I do love to ride and I know I can get stronger and faster if I focus. Best of luck and keep posting and I'll keep reading.