Friday, November 21, 2008

Get out of my head!!!

Tuesday I went for my first Computrainer class and I was pleased. For a baseline we did a 40 minute time trial. I have done one test on a computrainer and have my own Power Tap so I was not too overwhelmed by the info. There were 8 of us in class, 4 gents and 4 ladies. We warmed up and were off. I thought I started out a little too hard and was at 170 watts by 10 minutes. I gradually improved that to 175 watts at 30 minutes. The coach was really encouraging at my trend upward and said "You can get another 10 watts by the end". Here comes the part I would like to end- the voice in my head responded with "Yeah right, I will be happy with 5 more".

Negative self talk. I am working on a lot of self improvement but these nasty little gremlins pop up out of nowhere. Now, I would like to point out that at about 25 minutes or so I had started to feel pretty good, like I had really warmed up and was ready. But I still got that crap in my head. I did dig deep and worked hard to keep my watts as high as I could. The coach was great and I just concentrated on my wattage and doing what I could. I finished with 184 watts average for the 40 minutes and was very happy.

OK, for some of you guys out there that is nothing and don't even think of looking at the pros (Taylor Phinney just recorded a peak wattage of over 2000 watts in wind tunnel testing but he comes from gifted parents on both sides!). In fact two guys were over 200 watts average in this class. And I am competitive as most of us are- and I came in third! Which meant I did beat 2 of the gents. OK, OK, not really important, but what does matter is that I feel relatively untrained right now but this wattage is higher than the first time I ever did testing. So, I fully expect that my wattage will go up higher than it did before!

I am going to have to juggle my schedule for this in the next few weeks but I will let you know how things go.

1 comment:

Tightwads of PDX! said...

what a great post, Ellen, thanks for sharing! the gremlins are my personal nemesis as well... the mental component of cycling is HUGE. Actually, it's what i least like about riding indoors... the gremlins voices are so much louder in my head without distractions of changing scenery!