Thursday, January 8, 2009

lunch stops, perfection, and gratitude

Over New Years I was able to ride 45 miles New Years day, 40 miles on Saturday by myself, and 85 miles on Sunday- which was perfection in every way.

We had a group of 6 start 5 miles from my house so I rode to the start for an 8 am push off. It was one of the days that make me want to fall to my knees with gratitude for living in Florida this time of year. I had just arm and knee warmers to the start (because it was in the low 60's after all ;-)) and those came off by the lunch stop when it was getting into the upper 70's. There was little wind and we rode double paceline for almost the entire day. We explored new roads, got that extra special bonus of getting to a gate across the road and just went around it to rejoin the new roads we were exploring. It was a minor diversion and we got to go through when cars can't. I love that.

We got to Yalaha Bakery and stopped for a real lunch stop- mine included a breakfast sandwich and a chocolate eclair (one of the very best items there) and a goody to take home for my partner. It was delicious and then we continued on around the lake to Mt. Dora where there was a quick stop for coffee and ice cream and then back home. Just absolutely perfect- a group that was well matched in speed, was willing to go on an adventure, and not so wrapped up in the get-there-itis that they were unwilling to stop and enjoy a sit down meal. I of course was so tired when we got back to the meeting point that I wished I had a car there. I did not however, so I trundled my way home for 5 more miles and then took a nap!

Due to tired legs and upcoming plans, I did NOT ride to work on Monday. Those were the original plans but after the weekend, discretion became the better part of valor. I had my Computrainer class on Tuesday evening, only a couple more left, and the first brevet of the season is next Saturday. So, jumping from 85 to 124 miles- that is in the training plan right? It is all good, I am looking forward to the 200k, if only to see how the Brooks leather saddle I have been riding treats me over the day. Fingers crossed for North winds as we will do an out and back up the east coast of FL. Would be a headwind going out but tons of fun coming back! Will keep you posted.

No comments: