Monday, October 27, 2008

aaahhhhhh, we are getting to the time of year when I really appreciate living in FL- the about 9 months when I look at the rest of the country and am grateful. I was just asked at work the other day about some training- seemed nice except it is in Wisconsin in Feb- umm, nope thanks, I'm good, think I will just stay here!

Saturday I did what I prefer to call cross training, others may call it shoveling dirt but I like cross training better. As I was moving stuff from one place to another I was pondering how many machines at the gym I would have to use. As I don't have a gym membership this kept me occupied for a while. So, I figured I did bent over rows, throw the medicine ball, leg press, and I don't know what translates to walking behind a fully loaded wheelbarrow and keeping it from tipping over until you want it to be empty and then it seems to all want to just stay in the bucket. Whatever, a good couple of hours of work accomplished.

Sunday all my buddies bailed- if you are reading this you know who you are- so I got a leisurely start and rolled out for just over 60 miles of rolling country. It was a beautiful day, stayed in the upper 70's with a steady wind out of the north, northwest. I headed north from home taking a new road I recently found and kept winding my way up to Eustis where I turned around and had a great trip home. After 3 hours I finally made a store stop and realized sadly that I am still going to have to figure out saddle issues.

I have several bikes, a carbon trek with a Terry Falcon saddle. This is the light bike and the one I will most likely use for my 24 hour event. I will install my aero bars soon to start to incorporate that position into training. I also have a Bianchi Volpe, a great steel touring bike that is my brevet/long distance bike. It has a triple and I have put on a Brooks leather saddle to give that a try. I also have a single speed with another Brooks to break in that I use for commuting, as well as a fixed gear that needs to have some things swapped out and right now is a short distance bike.

I attempted the grand daddy of all brevets last year, the 1200km Paris Brest Paris but I only did the PB part as I abandoned in Brest. I had a few problems- not enough training in the hills and not enough time in the saddle- but my biggest challenge is finding a saddle I can go more than 600k on. As soon as I can figure that out I will have solved my biggest limiting factor.

So, after the ride, though my butt was a little tired, I had a nice recovery session at home doing the Fix the Back stretching and myofacial release sessions. Felt good as after my cross training on Saturday I felt tight on the bike Sunday. Maybe I will schedule a massage for this week. I have to get ready for the Boys and Girls Club Century next Sunday!

No comments: